Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My First BB Cream!

Why a BB Cream?
The infinite choices of BB creams.
So for almost a year now, I've been wanting to try a "BB Cream." For those of you who don't know what a BB cream is, it is a tinted face primer/moisturizer depending on how you decide to use it. Now, for a while I'd been thinking and saying that I wanted to try one but couldn't figure out which one to try! Every time I went into a department store, Sephora, or M.A.C I'd get distracted by whatever the latest thing was and forget all about the stinking cream! And I don't know about you but I know I wouldn't spend $25-$40 on a cream without trying it on first! So I couldn't just pick one up! Even so, spending $10 on a product you're not too sure about is kinda sketcy!
Maybelline New York, Dream Fresh,
8-in-1 Beauty Balm, and Skin Perfector 
in the shade, "light/medium."

It wasn't until I was recently watching a video on YouTube (can't remember which one) when I finally broke down and decided to try the stuff! I went to Ulta and and got the Maybelline New York, Dream Fresh, 8-in-1 Beauty Balm, and Skin Perfector in the shade, "light/medium." I spent around $9 for it which wasn't too bad I guess.

Now, I definitely don't wear makeup everyday. I feel comfortable in my own skin and have no problem going out or to work with a fresh, natural looking, face. Until I read this in my nail tech textbook: "You should always use makeup to accentuate your best features..... A freshly scrubbed face may look great for a leisurely day at the beach, but it does nothing to promote your image as a beauty professional wile at work." - Milady's Standard Nail Technology, Chapter 3, and I'd never thought of it that way. So this morning I decided to wear makeup, something light, hmm? Why not try my new BB cream?!

I went the route of using it as a light foundation as apposed to a foundation primer. I didn't want to cake it on plus, I was running late and had to do it at my desk. I ended up setting it with a translucent pressed blot powder from M.A.C. because so it could absorb the access product and prevent my face from looking too oily & shiny! The Crisco look is definitely not in right now! :P

The Results:

My Review & Thoughts: 
Of course I couldn't expect too much from a product that was a "sheer tint" so it didn't really hide too many blemishes. I did however, expect it to be a little more moisturizing. It could have been "user error" and maybe I put it on too thin or could have applied a second coat but the moisturizing value wasn't too great. Once I set it with the blot powder it actually highlighted the dry spots on my face! Again, that could be because I chose to use it as a sheer foundation instead of a primer. I'm sure that it's going to take a couple of uses before I can actually decide how I feel about it, so we'll see.

I will say though, the longevity and wear-ability of this product is the bomb! My face feels naked and fresh but I know I put product on! It definitely has breathable coverage and my face feels great! I'm even wearing a white sweater and there's no evidence of fall out. Even though its a cream base/type product and it's not supposed to have fall out and I set it with a power to absorb it, I've still had other foundations rub off and mark up my clothing, so this is a plus! Also, applying it at my desk was super easy and there was no funky residue left on my fingers. I simply applied hand sanitizer before continuing to apply my make up!

The Finished Look:
I wanted to keep the whole look fresh and natural, since that's what I'm all about. A nude lip, light eyeliner, and long black lashes completed my face! The product list is below! I personally feel that this is something I could wear everyday, even if I'm feeling lazy, it only took 5 minutes to apply! :) How efficient?! 7 Items and your everyday makeup bag is packed! If you suggest another BB cream to try, let me know either below or on Facebook!


Products:
Face:
   - Maybelline New York, Dream Finish, BB Cream Skin Perfector (Light/Medium)
   - M.A.C., Blot Powder, Pressed (Medium/Dark)
Eyes:
   - Estee Lauder, Double Wear, Stay-In-Place Eye Pencil Duo, (Onyx/Garnet)
       I used the garnet end. Here's a tip: Eyeliner was invented to open up the eyes and make them "pop" and while I know the "smoky eye" is super trendy and the look is almost timeless, if you're going to use a black liner and only line one part of you eye, line the top as apposed to your water line. This opens the eyes and makes them appear larger. You could even set it and smoke it out with a little black eye shadow. Lining your water line with a black eyeliner only makes you look more exhausted and you're eyes more droopy! If you prefer to line your water line, opt for a brown or more natural eyeliner just to accentuate your eyes! Even a white or nude liner is better than a black one! ;)
   - Maybelline New York, The Falsies, Volum; Express Waterproof Mascara (Very Black)

Lips:
   - NYX, retractable lip liner (18 Peony)
   - NYX, Lip Smacking Fun Colors (518A Pure Nude)
   - M.A.C., Dazzleglass (Roman Holiday)

Thanks for reading!
Forever & Always,
Anaia Papaya <3

1 comment:

  1. Loving your blog! I'm always looking for reviews on makeup and beauty products since there is sooooo many out there to compare! Thanks for taking the time and hope to see more! Aloha, Auntie Pami

    ReplyDelete